Friday, November 4, 2011

Scissors and Cream (Chicken taquitos and Wet Cinch Bag)

For those who are new to our blog I have taken on the challenge to broaden my domestic goddess talents. I will be posting "first attempts" to crafts and recipes each week for your entertainment success or total failure! I call these my Friday's scissor and cream posts. Enjoy...

I have been obsessed with finding ways to freeze homemade meals and vegetable purees. Jerry Sienfields wife has a book you may have heard of called "Deceptively Delicious". I have taken her philosophies of using purees in most of your meals very seriously since we now have a picky toddler in the house. Some ways I have already used these purees for are the following:

Yellow squash puree in Mac and Cheese
Zuccini puree in my cockpot Lagsane (You can use UNBOILED noodles too in the crockpot!)
Carrot puree in breakfast bars/homemade popsicles
Brocolli and spinach puree in quesadillas and grilled cheese sandwiches
AND my favorite is crockpot chili! I usually add at least 3-4 different puree/chunks of veggies.

Turkey Day is coming up and I am already planning out the following days of left overs. What do you do with your left overs? This year we have decided to make MASS amounts of taquitos!

I found this homemade taquito recipe here and had to try it out! We had issues keeping the corn tortillas from breaking but I think we will be pros next time. How do you guys keep your totillas warm/moist while you are wrapping them?

These little puppies freeze amazingly well and we now will have less preservatives and sodium in our diet. YAY! Its coming up on the SUPER busy holidays so these will come in handy for last minute dinners for overwhelming weeks.




Chicken Broth

I used a rotisserie chicken for the taquitos this time and found a way to get my moneys worth! After you have striped your chicken of the meat for the taquitos throw the carcass in a crockpot. Add about 3-4 cups of water, a onion and a few veggies you want to get rid of. Ta-da! Chicken broth. Put the broth in measured jam jars or ice cubes so you can easily pop them in your dishes that call for some yummy fresh broth! Brilliant...



Since the we live so close to the Mountlake Terrece Pool and the Lynnwood Rec Center Pool we have taken advantage of both locations for family nights. Danagan LOVES to show us how he can blow bubbles, swim on his belly and shove his face into the small fountains. I decided that it was time we got a wet bag instead of using the 'ol "wrap all your sopping wet clothes in your small towel that is already wet from you drying off" trick. HERE is a tutorial to make a 5 min cinch sack. I instantly made it a wet bag by getting a poly vinyl type fabric from JoAnns. Can't wait to get our swim ON!



No comments: