Friday, November 11, 2011

Fridays Scissors and Cream (Paper Rose Wreath Cheez-Its and Cider Camels/Toffee)

For those who are new to our blog I have taken on the challenge to broaden my domestic goddess talents. I will be posting "first attempts" to crafts and recipes each week for your entertainment success or total failure! I call these my Friday's scissor and cream posts. Enjoy...


I realized this year that we don't have many fall decorations for November. I love this project because it is neutral decor that can be used for any holiday or when you feel like redecorating. Since there are so many super cute DIY wreaths floating around blogs and pintrest I tried making one from the tutorial HERE. In retrospect I would have chosen a much less time-consuming wreath like the "coffee filter" ones. All the rolling of the paper really adds up on the clock! I got a straw wreath because it was cheap but accidentally cut the fishing line holding it all together. :/ I had to improvise and wrap some yarn around it to keep it from falling apart. Hence the super tacky orange yarn wraped around the wreath you all were curious about. I know...not the classiest project. lol



My last recipe swap was themed "apples vs. pumpkins". I decided to try THESE cider caramels since I hadn't ever used a candy thermometer or cooked many sensitive candies before.
These caramels are scrumptious to say the least. I even messed up the recipe and cooked it a tad too long. Conclusion: The "toffee" turned out great. :) My only advice if you try this recipe is to seriously follow the temperature directions. When they say take off the sauce as soon as it reaches a certain temperature THEY MEAN IT!



Who can seriously say they have not been addicted to cheez-its sometime in their life? Especially the white cheddar ones! I was really skeptical about THIS recipe because it looked so easy. It WAS so easy and delicious. Not to mention it filled our house up with a toasty cheez-it smell- YUM. I will use a little less cayenne pepper in future batches but overall I am impressed! Try it out your kids will love them. AND- you can be satisfied that you know what all the ingredients are in your crackers. :)



No comments: