Friday, October 7, 2011

Scissors and Cream (Pumpkin Recipes and Fabric Pumpkins)





For those who are new to our blog I have taken on the challenge to broaden my domestic goddess talents. I will be posting "first attempts" to crafts and recipes each week for your entertainment success or total failure! I call these my Friday's scissor and cream posts. Enjoy...













Its pumpkin time! I decided this year I would experiment with various pumpkin recipes. After all it is a vegetable, and therefore healthy, right? Since this is the first time I have made any of these pumpkin recipes I decided to get super domestic and make my own pumpkin pie spice while I was at it. As a spice it is really only used once a year so why not make it yourself! HERE is the blog tutorial I used for D.I.Y pie spice.







Fabric Pumpkins

The Tater Tots and Jello blog has a great step by step tutorial of how to do these adorable pumpkins and much much more! Check it out HERE

* Here are a few lessons to learn through me...


1. Buy pumpkins that are smooth. Leave the unique fun ones to spray paint. The medium sized one had thicker crevases and it made the fabric pucker a lot. :(

2. Measure your fabric exatly to fit the pumpkin. I don't follow directions very well, so I find myself "winging" everything. I tried to hurry this project and cut all the fabric at various length. Most of my pieces were way too long which made a big bulky mess at the bottom of my pumpkins.




Here are my recipes I tried this week: Click on the titles of each one to get the full recipe/tutorial.



Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins


Out of all the pumpkin recipes I have tried, so far this has tasted the best! My only regret is that I only made a half batch!


*make sure you use liners for these little guys. The butterscotch morsels melt and become a caramelized sticky mess. This made a huge cleaning problem AND a problem popping them out of the pans.








Pumpkin Brownies


I didn't care too much for this recipe because it cooked for almost 70 minutes! The pumpkin layers wouldn't set up for me. They turned out to taste really moist and yummy but a little too gooey for my liking. Please let me know your advice for helping recipes like this to set up. :)








Pumpkin Pancakes


Me and the little guy had a blast making these pancakes together. He is finally at the fun age where he wants to learn and "help". I love pancakes as a snack for him because he can take them anywhere and they don't rot. We use them when we go shopping, when he iswaiting in the car seat, or around the house as a healthy snack.





(Okay, okay...we could have done without this seriously terrible picture : )


Homemade Popsicles


I had about 1/4 c pumpkin puree left so, we made a new popsicle concotion for Danagan for the week.


I mixed the following: applesauce, wheat germ, greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, carrot puree and molasses-for iron, and he LOVES them!








No comments: