Friday, August 19, 2011

Scissors and Cream (raspberry rolls and magnets)

For those who are new to our blog I have taken on the challenge to broaden my domestic goddess talents. I will be posting "first attempts" to crafts and recipes each week for your entertainment success or total failure! I call these my Friday's scissor and cream posts. Enjoy...


My sister and I are constantly trying to shove good and healthy food down our 18 month-old boys' throats'. Most of the time, it does not go so well. I end up chasing Danagan around all day with a spoon of something in my hand just to get him to eat! He seriously has not touched his high chair in months! Luckily, he is a HUGE milk drinker which has made us really reluctant to wean him away from his bottle. With all that being said here is a truly AMAZING blog for moms striving to make healthy kiddos. (Definitely want to try her carrot cake french toast sticks!)

SIDENOTE: Since we have 1 o'clock church and that is pretty much the only time my child seems to have an appetite we have established a routine for that meal. We use a cast iron pan for extra iron and make a grilled cheese sandwich with spinach or whole wheat quesadilla with grated zucchini and cheese. This has been a great non-messy lunch for church and keeps him off his cheddar bunny/pirate booty diet. I am not sure how much better these rolls really are for Danagan, but at least it's something different!


I am totally ecstatic that I successfully proofed my own bread yeast. For those who are not bread savvy, proofing is a way to ensure your yeast is good and will make your bread rise. FYI-If it doesn't rise you can always make pitas, tortillas, or pizza dough. To proof your yeast you simply add 1 TBSP of sugar, required amount of yeast and hot water that is close to 110 degrees (make sure you are using the total water measurement for your recipe so you don't add or take away from your bread) Some recipes do not let you mix your yeast with your water/sugar. In this case just modify it so you can proof your yeast. This recipe is a great example of this. I just mixed everything together by slowly adding the flour and it turned out great!




I added 2 TBSP of lemon juice and 2 tsp of lemon zest to the raspberry filling to spice it up a little, then topped it off with some scrumptious lemon glaze.
The lemon glaze consisted of the following:
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 lemon, zest finely grated
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter



(Yes, I am one of those uber annoying people that eat the soft ones in the middle)

The only problem I had was the blood bath the raspberries make when I rolled my dough.


DIY Mini Magnets

Did any of you ever play with FIMO clay when you were younger? I know I certainly did. I am pretty sure I have some of my amazing 6th grade art work necklaces laying around here somewhere. I was inspired by my friend Cami's blog here to make some of my own magnets. My original copy cat rose DID NOT turn out as cute as hers, unfortunately. I was happy with my button ones and flowers formed with a mold though. I bought this chocolate mold for a "cute as a button" baby shower theme for a later party. I thought I would try it out early with these magnets. After baking them I painted them with super cheap Walmart acrylic paint. Then as the last step, I slathered them with Mod Podge. SUPER EASY


For this one I added poppy seeds to the middle for a different effect.

No comments: