Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday's Scissors and Cream! (raspberry bread, dressing and headbands)


For those who are new to our blog I have taken on the challenge to broaden my domestic goddess talents. I will be posting "first attempts" to crafts and recipes each week for your entertainment success or total failure! I call these my Friday's scissor and cream posts. Enjoy...


This last week we picked my hubby and I had a awesome date picking 11 lbs of raspberries at Biringer Farms. It was so peaceful to listen to the breeze zip through the bushes while the sun was beating down on us. There really aren't many things better in this life then devouring freshly ripened raspberries perfectly warm from the days sun with the man you love. Most of these raspberries are going to be air sealed and put in the freezer for blackberry/raspberry pies during the holidays. The ones we don't use for pies will be used for other experiments such as this scrumptious raspberry poppy seed dressing, raspberry cinnamon rolls, and raspberry banana bread! Seriously can not wait! The white box in the picture off to the side we bought to keep in our fridge and devour at our convenience. Sadly it is already half gone!


Raspberry Poppy seed Vinaigrette

The link for this delicious recipe can be found here. My hubby made me make two batches after he scarfed down his first salad with it! The recipe recommends a food processor but for those who are still living like happy poor paupers a simple hand mixer and a bowl works great!


Ta Da! Now time for eating...


Raspberry Banana Bread

Next I tried making raspberry banana bread. It turned out yummy. I found the recipe here. I substituted whole wheat flour for white flour and added only 1/2 the sugar it called for so, I felt better sharing it with Danagan. The only hang up I had was that I made it in too big of a pan so, it was a little mushier then I wanted. Next time- 2 medium sized pans or filling the pan up less will work out better! I love the way it looks when it is cut. My phone camera does not do it justice at all.



DIY Knotted Headband
For my craft I have been wanting to try out this head band my friend Cami has on her blog here. I am not sure what type of yarn she used but the type I had was seriously a pain in the butt. I burned myself a zillion times and in the first picture you can see that my crocheting skills are sub par because the linked strands would NOT lay flat. After all it finally worked out and now I have a cute headband to show off my new hair cut. YAY

SIDENOTE: I went in for a hair cut this week. I told the lady I love my long hair but would like to get rid of the split ends (showing her with my fingers 2 inches) and add a few more layers. She started from the back and worked her way to the front. As she came to the front I immediately started bawling. She had cut off 7 1/2 INCHES! So much for a "trim". I got all my crying out and actually enjoy this low maintenance do for the summer time.



I know orange and pink do not match under any circumstance. BUT, I was running from a crazed 18 mo old and was in a bit of a hurry to get this post done so that the authorities were not called on me for neglecting my child. (And no, I will not be updating my my space profile with this amazing "in the bathroom mirror" portrait of myself)

No comments: