Friday, January 27, 2012

Fridays Scissors and Cream (Homemade Nutella, Baked Scallops with Rice and "healthy" Butterscotch Bars" )

For those who are new to our blog I have taken on the challenge to broaden my domestic goddess talents. I will be posting "first attempts" to crafts and recipes each week for your entertainment success or total failure! I call these my Friday's scissor and cream posts. Enjoy...

For a few weeks you all are stuck with dessert and dinner recipes from me. I am working on some big time sensitive crafts that will take a little more then a week so, recipes will have to suffice. :)


Thanks to my friend Rochelle posting THIS recipe on her facebook I got to try this scrumptious recipe while we were snowed in the other week. I have been experimenting with Bob Mills whole wheat PASTRY flour to see if it could be a healthy alternative to some of those guilty pleasure desserts. I have been impressed so far. It still makes the recipes have that wheaty-healthy taste to them but it is not as strong as the other normal whole wheat flours I have used. This bar reminded me of a healthy version of Carmelitas and just as yummy!



I couldn't believe my eyes when I found THIS recipe on Pintrest. MY finished product didn't really compare to the heavenly store bought Nutella but it was a delicious spread to eat! Why did it not taste or compare to the original Nutella? I think I cooked the hazelnuts a bit too long which really affected the taste. I also did not strain the nut puree particles while the sauce was hot. This made the spread taste like a chunky roasted nut spread. Not a bad taste but certainly different then the store bought stuff. :)




Fred Myers had a sale this last week on their JUMBO scallops. Daniel and I have tried recipes with the small scallops so, we thought it would be fun to try these for a change. If any of you know me very well, you know that I LOATHE seafood. It is SO disgusting! Seafood that I will eat only under social pressure are shrimp, crab, and scallops. That is absolutely it though as far as consuming any type of sea life. I know, I know, I don't deserve to be living in the Puget Sound.
HERE is the recipe we tried. I usually don't like bread crumb covered meats but this recipe was too good to not share! We had our scallops over homemade pilaf from a recipe HERE but thought it would be a great alternative to meatballs in our next spaghetti dish!


1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'm going to have to try the Nutella recipe. Mmmmm....

Also, if you're interested in more whole-grain baking, King Arthur Flour has an amaaaaazing cookbook called Whole Grain Baking and everything I've tried from it is amazing:

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Flour-Whole-Grain-Baking/dp/0881507199